Flashtool is a S1 flashing software that works for all Sony phones from X10 to Xperia Z Ultra. They all use the S1 protocol for flashing firmwares.
This program was originally made to flash sin files downloaded by SEUS or PCC. From time to time, sin files have been bundled into what is now well known FTF (Flash Tool Firmwares). That is the core of Flashtool and the reason of its name.
Flashtool can also easily unlock the bootloader of the phone using the BLU icon as far as the bootloader of your phone is unlockable
The flashing feature as well as bootloader unlock feature are available whatever the phone is recognized or not by the application. What is only mandatory for flashing is to own the FTF file according to the device you want to flash it on.
Why should I use flashtool ?
- Once bootloader unlocked, official sony tools do not work anymore.
- Using official sony tools, you can only upgrade. No downgrade possible.
- Using flashtool, you can choose what to flash and what not to flash. This said, many rooting scenarios are available implying kernel only downgrade to retrieve a patched rooting exploit and then flash back the right kernel.
You said unlocking bootloader ?
This process gives you the opportunity to flash custom roms such as CyanogenMod ROMs.
I invite you to visit the FXP Project that brings CM to xperia devices.
Many other features have been built-in so that Flashtool can also be used to (as far as the phone is recognized by Flashtool) :
- Root your phone
- Install recovery, busybox, custom kernels
- Clean your rom (remove /system/apps apps of your choice) (Be careful, unless you really know what you do, do not modify the default list. This can make your phone stuck at the SE Logo)
- Clear dalvik cache
- Optimize (install of JIT v2) (plugin for 2.1 phones only from 2010 line)
- Customize (installs apps found in the custom/apps folder of the flashtool)
- Edit any text file on the device
- Rebrand your device
How To Use :
- Open Flashtool
- Prepare the .ftf (It’s a Flashable Firmware Update that can be Flashed by Using Flashtool and Each Device has different .ftf file so be careful to choose which .ftf file to be flashed on your device) and Put it on“Firmware” Folder inside the Main Flashtool Folder
- Then Click on the Thunder Icon on the Flashtool Application
- Select Flashmode
- Select The Correct .ftf file for your device
- After that Turn Off your Device and Unplug it from your PC/Laptops
- Press the Correct Flash Button on your device (On 2011 Xperia the Flash Button is The Volume Down) and While Pressing it Plug Back your Device to PC/Laptops
- When The Log Screen Show the Flashing Process is Started just Wait until the Flashing is Completed
- When The Flashing is Completed Plug off your Device and then Turn it On again
- Voila Your Device Just Got Flashed and it’s Just like Fresh Out of the Box again